Friday, November 30, 2007

6 chunk

1. "Our capacity to think, except in the service of what we are dangerously deluded in supposing in our self-interest, and in conformity with common sense, is pitifully limited: our capacity even to see, hear, touch, taste, and smell is so shrouded in veils of mystification that an intensive discipline of un learning is necessary for anyone before one can begin to experience the world afresh, with innocence, truth and love." -Ardy Lang
My take on this is, the way we think is automatic, and we dont really have control over our thoughts. We just go with the sensations our body feels, we dont really think about it that much.

2. When someone asks me a question, i go back into time in my head and i use my memory. Memory is important for my thinking strategies. The way i make a decision in life about anything, i think about what i have done in the past and the mistakes i have made and i visualize situations that i have been in. When i am thinking about making a decision my thinking process goes into the future. I think about the outcome of that certain decision and what the result will be.

3. There are all types of intellegence. Based on how well you do in school, determines the college you go to, and the job you get and the money you earn. But school smart does not account for everything and i am learned that there is all different levels of intellegence. I have met so many different types of people, and i know a lot of people who are "steet smart" and i think thats something you'll never learn at school and school cannot teach us everything we need to know.

4. A lot of the time i think i dont have control over my thinking. I mean, i am in control of my thoughts but when ever i day dream i find that i am not in control over my thoughts and my day dreams are sometimes like a dream, its crazy. A Freudian slip is when you say something you didnt mean to say, but you said it anyway. It is caused by the unconcious mind. I have had a Freudian slip many times, and everytime i say something it is something i didnt mean to say, but im thinking about in my head and i didnt really want anyone to hear what i said.

5. Aestetics: Our society is very judgmental, and we are constantly judging others based on appearences. There are people who are pleasing to look at, but what makes them pleasing? i cant say i dont judge because i do judge others based on appearences. "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" What criteria is used to base the standards of beauty. In a lot of ways the media influences what people consider beautiful. What part of my thinking process do i use to decide who is aestheicly pleasing in appearence. I cant even say what thinking process i use, its just myself and others can tell when something or someone is aesteticly pleasing. What is pretty? i think everyone has their own standards and


6. Metacognition: Definition " Thinking about thinking" We think everyday, all the time, even when we dont realize we are thinking and having a thought process, we are. But we rarley think about our thinking. How did i make that decison? Why did i choose this? People live out of habit, and we are automatic. We are automatic thinkers. When you first learn to do something you think about each step you up put into it. Like driving for example, when you are learning how to drive, you pay attention to every detail and can recall every detail. But once you drive for a while, you can drive somewhere out of habit, because your used to it. my mom for example, drives me places and once she said to me. "I dont even remember how i got here." This is because she doesnt have to think about it anymore, she had taken that route many times before and was used to the drive.
Last year in class we watched the movie "Momento" The main character had lost his memory and said "Habit and routine make my life possible." He had lost his memory so he had no new memories to help him everyday. Habit, routine, and a lot of notes made him live as an automatic thinker.

No comments: